Residents of Austin live with drastically varying weather. Winters can be cool, summers bring blistering heat, and autumn and spring swing from one extreme to the other. Here are home maintenance suggestions that will help keep you and your family comfortable all year long:
- Gutters are placed on your roof to collect rain and snow, redirecting water away from the foundation and preventing cracks. Every fall, gutters and spouts should be cleaned, repaired and inspected. Tighten brackets to support the weight of snow without breaking.
- A watertight roof protects your home in the same way our skin protects us from the environment. Leaky roofs can cause expensive damage to the wiring, plumbing and furnace. Be sure to include roof inspection and repair in your annual home maintenance.
- During your annual HVAC service, ask the technician to inspect the outside of your home. Cracks in the exterior of your house will drive up your heat expenses and cause icy drafts. Inspect along the window frames, doors and places where wiring and plumbing enter the home. Make sure to examine the foundation of your home. Fissures allow water drain into your basement, causing structural damage and ruining your possessions. The spaces should be completely caulked before winter.
- The furnace and ductwork require annual servicing. Your technician will make sure that everything runs smoothly, saving you from expensive emergency calls for help in the middle of the winter. Not only will the system work much better, cleaning out the ductwork will improve the quality of your indoor air. Dust and other debris can accumulate while unused.
- The air filters should be changed monthly. Fall visits from your HVAC company are a great time for a technician to change them for you and check to make sure everything is working the way it should. If you have allergies in your family, consider a higher grade filter to keep your air clean.
Call us at Airco today and we’ll help you get your home ready for the winter!
Need HVAC Service?
Contact the experts at AiRCO.
Call us at 512.537.1234!