Like any complex equipment, your air conditioner needs maintenance. Scheduling a spring tune-up through your HVAC contractor will help keep your A/C in top form. Many tasks the technician performs during your annual air conditioner maintenance visits require expertise and training, but others can be performed by the homeowner with some basic knowledge of how the A/C runs.
Here are some tasks you may want to tackle before your technician arrives.
- Replace or clean your air filter. A dirty air filter is the top reason for an air conditioner’s poor performance. Be sure to change the filter at least once a month during the warm months. If you have a reusable filter, clean it regularly.
- Air seal your home. No matter what the season, you don’t want conditioned air leaking out of your home or heat/cold from the outside seeping in. Use weatherstripping around your doors and caulk around windows to prevent air leaks.
- Check your outdoor condenser for debris and leaves. Remove grass clippings, leaves, weeds, or any other obstructions within a two-foot circle around your outdoor condenser. Check it regularly for obstructions and debris.
- Check the condensate drain. Located in the indoor side of you’re A/C, condensate drains may be difficult to gain access to, especially if the A/C is in an attic. Ask your HVAC technician if you don’t know its location. Your A/C draws in dirt, dust, and other particulates as it takes in air, and it could clog your condensate line. If you are able to easily gain access to the line, run a stiff wire through it to remove debris and ensure free flow of condensation into the drain pan.
- Check the coils for dirt buildup. You’re A/C has a condenser coil outdoors and an evaporator coil indoors. Check your manual for how to gain access to them and be sure to use a foaming cleanser to clean them. Use a fin comb (found at a home improvement store) to straighten bent fins.
Learn more about air conditioner maintenance from the experts at Airco.
Need HVAC Service?
Contact the experts at AiRCO.
Call us at 512.537.1234!