Although our Texas summers can be warm, you won’t have to break the bank keeping your home cool. There are many ways to maintain comfort and to reduce cooling costs at the same time. See our guide to eight tips to live by this summer.
- Vent moisture. Humidity in your home makes you feel warmer than it really is, so whenever cooking or showering, turn on your exhaust fan. If you don’t have one, crack open the window.
- Prevent solar heat gain. Shut blinds and drapes when it’s hottest in the day, or install window film to reduce radiant heat entering your home. Some window coverings allow natural light to enter but also prevent heat gain.
- Don’t use appliances that heat the home. Cook outside on your grill instead of the oven, or use the microwave to cook simple summer meals.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Setting a cooling schedule to raise the temperature a few degrees when the family is sleeping or away from home can save you up to 10 percent on your air conditioning bills this summer. A programmable thermostat will also help you keep to your schedule, so that you don’t have to remember to reset the thermostat before you go to bed or before you leave home.
- Use fans. Whether it’s a portable model or mounted in the ceiling, fans are a great way to cut your energy use in summer by several degrees. Fans create a wind that makes us feel cooler without even turning the thermostat down.
- Seal ductwork. Your ducts are key to operating your conditioned air efficiently. Make sure all holes are repaired and all segments sealed tightly so you don’t waste energy.
- Insulate and air seal. Insulate your attic to keep the sun heating it up in the summer and compromising your cooling efforts. Be sure to seal cracks and gaps around windows and doors with weatherstripping and sealant.
- Buy Energy Star appliances. Energy Star, the government’s efficiency rating system for appliances, can guide you to the most efficient air conditioner choices for your home.
For more on how to reduce cooling costs this summer, contact Airco.
Need HVAC Service?
Contact the experts at AiRCO.
Call us at 512.537.1234!